Cultivate the competency culture at all levels in your organization. By
- Communicate your competencies to all employees through different forum like organization portal, website, employee handbook, online and offline discussion forums, newsletters etc. Let employees aware they get rewarded based on their high competence and performance.
- Update job descriptions with core, job related competencies which makes every employee to realize what is expected from them.
- Life cycle of an employee starts from hiring, let’s start hire people based on competencies mentioned in the job description of the position.
- By adding job related competencies in performance appraisal forms helps managers to assess employee’s performance and competence with more clarity. In such a way, performance and skill gaps can be identified and development plans for employees can be created accordingly.
- Employee reward programs also be based on demonstration of competencies and goal achievement.
- Organization learning strategy, learning plan, activities can also be based on organization-level, team-level competence gaps and requirements which benefits employee development as well organization skill pool maintenance.
Your competency model and the specific competencies you assign to each job provide a blueprint for your managers and employees, so they develop the skills they need to succeed as individuals and the skills your organization needs to excel in its market. By identifying, defining and cultivating core, leadership and job specific skills or competencies, you create strong culture, foster high performance and align your workforce.
By Ramkumar Elango, PMP